Spend less than you make and start saving early. Albert Einstein once said, “Compound interest is the eighth wonder of the world. He who understands it, earns it…he who doesn’t, pays it.”
- I grew up in Bismarck, North Dakota, and I once went to school when it was 80 degrees below zero (with the windchill)!
- I was my high school class valedictorian and captain of my high school Bingo team.
- I have been fortunate enough to travel to every continent, with the exception of Antarctica (North Dakota might count), and I did much of that travel to attend conferences through the CFA (Chartered Financial Analyst) organization. I studied abroad in Australia for six months and have hopes of living there part time one day.
- I am a dog lover and am the proud owner of a 15-year-old Jack Russell Terrier.
- I am a big sports fan, particularly of the Boston Celtics. I played basketball, baseball, and soccer throughout high school, but now enjoy playing golf and in pickleball leagues.
- I am blessed with a great family including my wife and three children (ages 8, 6 and 1).
- Hope+Elim Church
- Lutheran Services in Iowa
- Blessman International
- Kingdom Advisors
- CFA Society
Jason Gunkel, CFP®, CFA, CAP®
Chief Investment Officer, Financial Planner
Jason 's Role:Chief Investment Officer, Financial Planner
Jason Gunkel has been with Syverson Strege since 2004 when he started as a college intern and worked his way into his current roles as Chief Investment Officer and Financial Planner. He spent a short time at Principal Global Investors before realizing that his passion is working directly with individuals and families to help them achieve their goals. He leads the Investment Committee where he helps design and monitor the firm’s investment strategies.
Jason grew up in Bismarck, North Dakota, and migrated south seeking nicer weather and a smaller-sized school in the Midwest with a good business program.
Jason received a Bachelor's degree in Finance and Accounting from Drake University with summa cum laude honors. He is a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ practitioner and has earned the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA®) designation. Jason has a special interest in charitable giving strategies and has completed the Chartered Advisor in Philanthropy (CAP®) program.
I am passionate about enriching the lives of others through service. I serve on my church's missions board where we lead efforts to serve our community. I also volunteer for Lutheran Services in Iowa to prepare tax returns for refugees and lower-income households. I lead a young dad's support and Bible study group. I also have a passion for financial education to help people take control of their money and get out of debt by leading programs such as Financial Peace University.
My favorite time is spent with my wife Liz, chasing around our kids Evan, Adalyn and Joslyn, and our Jack Russell terrier. We like to travel as much as possible and have been to every continent (besides Antarctica) between the two of us. I also enjoy my Tuesday night golf league while Liz has book club.
Our international travel is now on hold until the kids are a little older, but we enjoy exploring new places to hike and ride bikes as a family. I enjoy a pickleball league and help coach our kids' soccer and baseball teams.